Thursday, January 14, 2010

Yvonne's Oatmeal

It's good for the heart, as it lowers cholesterol. Here's Mom's version:

Hi, The first easiest recipe that came to mind is what I eat almost every morning for breakfast. Oatmeal. Good for regularity and lowering cholesterol. The ratio of oatmeal to water is one part oatmeal to two parts water. I measure 1/3 cup quick oatmeal and 2/3 cup water into a bowl for microwave. Salt optional. Add about ten or twelve raisins. Microwave one minute. Stir. Mocrowave about additional thirty seconds watching it so it won't boil over. Eat with fat free milk and maple syrup on it. Yum and satisfying. More Later, Mom

Personally I have found that using unsweetened soy milk to cook the oats in is workable. I use a handful of raisins because I don't use any other sweetener. I add 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, and a pinch of garam masala and a pinch of ground Jamaican allspice as well. Cinnamon lowers cholesterol as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment